Thursday, April 28, 2011

"A penny saved is a penny earned"- Ben Franklin

Some of the wisest words on finance I've ever heard were said by Ben Franklin.  He said "A penny saved is a penny earned."   I paid cash for my car, a patriotic red "95 Chevy Corsica.  I have decided that I liked the fact that when I went to the bank to withdraw the money for my car that I liked having 1200 dollars saved in just the course of a few months.  It hurt alittle to hand over all those hours of hard work but at least I had something tangible to show for it.  One day I went to my other bank ( I know it's not polite to look at another persons ATM receipt but it had no name on it and they were long gone because it was the middle of the night.) and there was a receipt in the ATM and I saw that whoever used the ATM before me had withdrew over 200 dollars and still had over a thousand just in their checking.  I knew that their savings must be looking pretty healthy also and I decided that I too wanted to have healthy looking finances.  I'm only twenty-one and make minimum wage but in just in three months I had saved 1200 dollars for a car and I know I can save that much and more if from now on I use the same method I used for my car and cut back my spending.  I usually spend my money on precious metals because it's harder for me to spend it and I've already seen the price more than double since I bought most of my metal.  I have a pretty good sum of metal in my safe deposit box at the bank that I'm saving for my future. Part of the reason I need to save money is because I run vol ems and there is a two week EMT class opening in the summer and my county about once a year hires paid EMT's which will better my pay.  Ultimately my goal is to get married, own my home, raise a family, and have money saved up so that if something should ever happen to me my wife won't have to worry about how she is going to make ends meet.  I apologize for the ranting type post. If anyone has any suggestions to help me save they would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment